I've discovered the importance of taking care of myself. Little slow in coming I know. I've been neglecting myself a lot these past years and it's time now to reverse the affects. Working out of my home hasn't helped. It's been too easy to get up each day and put the 'comfy' clothes on instead of dressing for work... dressing for others.... dressing for success. And makeup... forget that. Some days it takes me till noon to even brush my teeth or comb my hair. Terrible, even self-destructive habits I've fallen into. Time for all of that to change.
I've officially been single for a little over a year now and am beginning to think a little adult companionship might be something worth pursuing. Some good conversation and a few reasons to dress up... to share some time with a new man couldn't hurt. I might be heading to 53 years on this planet but I'm certainly not dead yet!! Time to start living life a little bit again.
A good friend gave me a good pep talk today.... thanks Blondie.... you are the best of the best. She told me I need to take care of myself... to primp a little here and there. She told me it would give me new confidence and help me to walk a little taller in this world. I sense she is right on because I've certainly let myself kind of fade into the woodwork and shrink from the lack of personal care and attention. I'm looking forward to the affects of some good ol' self care... it sounds like good medicine to me right now.
My friend also reminded me I need to be proud of my life... my accomplishments.... my contributions to my world. I may not have accumulated great wealth but I have accumulated great achievements. I was judging myself somewhat harshly because I haven't done very well to prepare for retirement to the extent some of my new and old friends have successfully done. I don't have the assets to match nor the cash flow to take off on vacation within a moments notice. I can't invest in retirement property and talk about building my dream home. I can't buy a new car or a second car that is taken out just for fun in the sun on hot summer days.
My friend reminded me that as much by choice as by circumstance I live a much simpler life than the one's I was comparing myself to. While they were talking about trips to Europe that involved stays at high-end hotels and villas on the south of France I am still more comfortable swinging a back pack on my back and tripping around Europe from hostel to hostel. Not because they are cheaper but because they are where the people are. They are in the most interesting places that couldn't be experienced any other way. Renting a room on a small remote Greek Island that isn't on the stop of the high priced cruise ships. My friend is so right. I do live a simpler life. I chose it to be this way. I don't need a lot of money to do the things I like to do the most. I'd much prefer a picnic by a waterfall after a refreshing hike in the country over dressing up for a gourmet dinner at a fancy restaurant in the city. I don't need a lot of assets to keep me chained to maintaining at the expense of free time for living. I don't need a lot of wealth to finance my retirement. I live simply. I eat simply. I'm a cheap date... lol. I walk gently upon the earth. I am exactly where I want to be. I live exactly how I want to live. Time for family, time for my garden, time for long walks with my puppy and long talks with friends. Time for vacations where I camp within 10 metres of the best lake in the world within hours of home and with friends and family I adore.
What a relief it is to be content. What a joy it is to know I can determine my own life. What a blessing it is to have the skills and abilities to take hold of my own destiny. Thanks to my good friend I am standing a little taller today. Proud of who I am. Prepared to invest in me. Focused on enhancing my qualities and leaning on my strengths rather then fussing over those things that if truth be told.... don't fit into the life I've chosen to live.
My time is mine and I like it that way. In confidence and self-love I can be a blessing to my son and to all my family and friends each and every new day. We have a new baby coming into the family in a few months. A very special baby this one will be. Well aren't they are. But this one will have a special place in my heart. I will teach 'her' to be proud and to determine her own destiny. It's working for me!!! I'm having the time of my life because I decide each and every day how I am to spend my time in this life.
All the best to everyone who takes the time to visit me here.
Until we meet again......Lizi-Tish
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment