Wednesday, April 25, 2007

MOTHER EARTH & ME.....

How lucky am I to share my special day with Mother Earth. Earth Day… a special day to remember the gifts that the Great Spirit has provided the Earth.

Native cultures teach us that the four elements earth/rock, wind, fire and water exist to sustain life. The earth made of rock is respected for its strength to carry us, fire for the warmth it provides for us to survive, wind for the air we breathe and water for the life it brings.

The earth is also related in another set of four elements… sun, moon, stars and earth. Grandfather Sun is the force of fire that heats the earth. Grandmother Moon represents the cycles of time and human behaviour. The stars are all the ancestors that provide directions for the right path. Mother Earth is the maternal source of birth, life and growth.

Life is dependant on Mother Earth. Food, clothing, shelter, medicines and tools are all provided by Mother Earth. Many ceremonies are dedicated to showing gratitude to Mother Earth for her gifts. It seems especially fitting that a tradition grounded in thousands of years of history has found its way into the mainstream Canadian culture. Earth Day what a wonderful example of cross-cultural evolution.

How blessed am I to be one who shares the anniversary of my birth with our multi-cultural Nations annual celebration of the One who gave birth to us all… Mother Earth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're up and running again Patti. Was sorry when you took it down. Good to see you going and going and going again!!! LOL

I sure missed the novellas!

Hey I learned something right off the hop as I opened your blog today... I never knew the First Nations People had an astrological type thing-a-ma-jig. That's cool!

Blondie

Lizi Tish said...

Well there ya go. Learn something new everyday. As with all ancient indigineous cultures the stars have been very important to the development of civilizations and technologies. Lots of parallels to Chinese astrology from what little I do know about it.

You should pick up that book. It's very interesting stuff if you're into astrology. Never really been something I spend much time studying but I do have this book.