Tuesday, April 24, 2007

GETTING READY TO STEP OUT!!!

On Monday I went to the dentist for a much needed cleaning to freshen up my smile. On the way home I stopped in at the drug store and bought some makeup to put some colour in my cheeks and luster to my lips. Yesterday I returned to the drug store and bought some hair dye to cover up the dominating grey and glisten up my dull hair. Today I bought some new clothes. Jeans (the kind that sit on my hips instead of just under my ribs... lol), a new pair of cool pants, a new belt, shirt, sweater and jacket. Was it ever fun!! I even let the store clerk help me. For those of you who know me well you know how big that is. I used to suffer from major anxiety if a clerk approached me. It would send me bolting for the exit. But not today. Today I asked for help and welcomed comments and suggestions. It added to the fun of the whole experience. Who would have ever thought!!! lol. I realized today that it was back in 2002 when I last bought anything new for myself other than some underwear.... I was clearly way overdue for some wardrobe changes.

I found them all in a funky little shop in my home town. No trip to the mall to the larger town down the road was required. I love it when I can shop locally. In my zeal to promote local shopping I often ask people to image walking through the streets of our town if there were no shops along the way. That is the future if people elect always to travel out of town to shop. Most of what I bought was on sale so that made it even sweeter.

Tomorrow I plan to put highlights on top of my new hair colour and maybe return to the drug store for some nail polish to finish off the new look I'm putting together for myself. No I didn't suddenly fall into a bunch of money to spend but I did fall into the realization that you can feel better about yourself if you take care of yourself. Something magical about pampering yourself, giving time to primping and caring for how you present yourself to others and for that matter to yourself. I put makeup on this morning even though I had nowhere to go except my home office. No one to see except my cat and dog. Yet I found myself more productive than usual. More focused and more confident. I shared some thoughts with people that I'd been keeping in for too long and let go of some sadness that was causing me sorrow. I know it's not all just because I put makeup on and dressed with more care today but it helped... of that much I'm sure.

So what's next.... I think its time I opened that dance exercise dvd that has been sitting on my shelf for a couple of years now. Time to give it a try and see if I can't start to firm up some of my sagging muscles again. I'd love to play tennis this summer but I'm so out of shape I don't dare try to swing a racket until I've done a little strength and cardio work first. I've got a few yoga dvd's too that have been building nothing but dust while my muscles turned to mush. I bought them with good intentions that have yet to be realized. So tomorrow will be day one of bringing exercise back in to my life. I've been walking with the dog lately but now its time to step up the pace and maybe turn our walks into runs.

And why do you ask am I suddenly turning some attention to myself? Well... I've just come out of a very long period of self-imposed isolation. It has been a long journey to pulling myself out of a very dark time. And now that I am out I want to get back in the scene with a bang. To shake off the old dust and put on a fresh, clean new smile of optimistic anticipation. To get out there as the new, vibrate and energized me. I'm looking forward to re-connecting with old friends, meeting new friends, having new experiences, new adventures and putting myself back into the game of life.

Wish me well.... and if you too have let yourself go a little.... neglected some much needed and life generating self-care.... well then follow my lead. Take a look in the mirror and decide what you can do to freshen yourself up a little, perk yourself up and jump into life in a new way. Put some new spring into your steps and see what new will blossom in your life.

Will keep you posted.... hope you might feel like sharing your stories here too...

Lisi-Tish.... I need to go now and shorten my new jeans so I can wear them to the pow wow this weekend.

Maybe some teepee hopping will be on the agenda... teehee

No comments: